Thursday 5 February 2015

Cheap and Good Food: Sarawak Kolo Mee (Tampines)

I do not know why, but I seemed to have cravings for good noodles nowadays. Two out of three of my food posts are about noodles. And they are indeed delicious noodles. Hope you have tested and tasted my recommendations and have agreed with my humble opinion.

This time, I am going to recommend this fantastic noodle stall that has been around for more than 10 years and still counting. Everyday (I was told by the cleaner auntie), if you come at lunch time between 11 - 1pm, expect long queue of more than 20 persons! And it is not because the stall owners are slow, they are fast! People are just willing to queue for good food!


SARAWAK KOLO MEE

Tampines round market sarawak kolo mee
Tampines Round Market, Blk 137A #01-45 Tampines Street 11 Singapore 522137

One look at the stall and apart from the variety of noodles sold, you can see the numerous awards won by this stall. There are awards by Makan Sutra, Channel U's Yummy King (优选美食王), Straitstimes, Channel 8's 面对面 and many more!

BUT, this is not what I came for. I did not come to look at the awards. I came for good food!

As I was there at 1+pm (as advised by my survey team), I was right behind 8 persons only. Well, the noodles better be worth the wait! After queuing for about 15 minutes, it was finally my turn. I ordered a regular size famous Sarawak Kolo Mee. (They came in 4 sizes, $4/5/6/7)

And I present to you, THE SARAWAK KOLO NOODLES! Looked appetising, didn't it?

Tampines round market sarawak kolo mee
The famous Sarawak Kolo Mee!
The noodles came with
1) char siew
2) vegetables
3) 2 wantons
4) 1 dumpling
5) 1 deep fried wanton
6) braised pork ribs
7) Kolo mee

I quickly tossed the noodles and began to attack the noodles mercilessly. The noodles were springy and tasted different from the normal wanton noodles that is served in most noodles stall. The Sarawak Kolo Mee did not have the "alkaline" or 碱水 taste in it! Coupled with their special sauce and chili, the overall taste of this noodles was superb! All the other ingredients tasted normal like any other stall but the noodles and sauce itself were delicious!

Last but not least, I would like to talk about the braised pork ribs. Soft and tender pork ribs, deeply and fully braised with soy fragrance, was delectable! The aftertaste that lingered in my mouth was stimulating all the glands in my mouth, so much so that I was literally mouth-watering!


Tampines sarawak kolo mee
The aftermath

Now the verdict:

Taste: 4.5 out of 5 (the other ingredients were so-so)
Price: 2 purple notes (S$4.00)
Will I return for more: Definitely!
Nearest carpark: Open air carpark around block 137A (ERP system)
Opening hours:  Until 3pm daily (Avoid lunch hours, sometimes they finished at 2.30pm)



Tags: Tampines, round market, sarawak kolo mee,

No comments:

Post a Comment