Wednesday 14 January 2015

Cheap & Good Food: Lai Lai Heng Wanton Noodles (Ang Mo Kio)

I was visiting an acquaintance in Ang Mo Kio and he recommended me to the hawker centre near his place. He highly recommended me to try out this stall:

LAI LAI HENG WANTON NOODLES
Blk 409 Ang Mo Kio Ave 10 #01-14

And he guaranteed that I would return for more.

In less than 3 minutes, I was already queueing in front of the stall. This is the 1st indication that the food is good. Then the queue moved slowly. Not because they were slow, but I saw quite a few patrons in front packing a few packets of noodles. This is the 2nd indication that the food must be fantastic.

Soon my turn came and I ordered the Signature Noodles which is number 7. As I do not eat chicken feet, I asked the lady not to put it in my noodles. And she promptly asked if I would like to change the chicken feet to braised chicken wing. Of course, I took up the offer.

Within minutes, I was staring at the plate of noodles that came with:
1) noodles
2) char siew
3) 2 wantons in a bowl of soup
4) 2 deep fried wanton
5) 1 braised pork rib
6) 1 braised chicken wing (changed from 1 chicken feet)
7) vegetables

signature noodles
Looks extremely yummy!
And indeed, the wanton noodles was extremely yummy!

The noodles were very springy and the sauce was extremely tasty. Unlike some wanton noodles that became soggy due to being overcooked, this noodles were very well cooked. However, the char siew, wanton in soup, deep-fried wanton and vegetables were normal like any other good wanton stalls.

The highlight of the day is: the braised chicken wing and pork ribs. They were top-notch! I would give the braised pork ribs a rating of 10/10 and if possible, I would give it bonus points for melting in my mouth, literally!

I savoured the noodles in like a record, 5 minutes. And it was not because I was hungry. I just felt like stuffing mouthful after mouthful of noodles. I do not know why, but I guess my taste buds just wanted more!

As I write this post, I crave for another plate already, especially the braised pork ribs! Glutton!

The aftermath, after a mere 5 minutes.
As you can see, there were bones from the chicken wings. However, there is no bone for the pork ribs. I had cconsumed the cartilage as well! Talking about not wasting food.

Hurry and try out the wanton noodles at Lai Lai Heng Wanton Noodles! Remember to order noodles with pork ribs or you can order the pork ribs as extra ($2 for 2 pieces).

Maybe after eating this noodles, I will be very "HENG" too!

Now the verdict:

Taste: 6 out of 5 (bonus point for the braised pork ribs)
Price: 2 purple notes (S$4.00)
Will I return for more: Definitely!
Nearest carpark: Open air carpark behind block 410 ($0.50 coupon/half hour)
Opening hours:  Until 2.30pm daily, Closed on Mondays.



Tags: Wanton noodles, lai lai heng, ang mo kio, braised pork rib, teck ghee square







No comments:

Post a Comment